Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Airway Management in the Pediatric Population





I have been working with the pediatric population for 10 years and I love it. The last 7 years have been in PICU. It becomes very intense at times but I enjoy the rush. I deal with intubated children everyday. I would like to share how to manage an airway on a child. I hope you enjoy it.




Airway Managemnet in the Pediatric Patient


•Majority of cardiopulmonary arrests in the pediatric population are caused by a primary respiratory causes.
•Maintaining an open airway is the key to success in pediatric resuscitation.
•Early intervention is the key to a good outcome, to correct inadequate oxygenation and ventilation.


Definition of Respiratory Distress

Respiratory distress is a clinical state characterized by increased respiratory rate
and increased respiratory effort, resulting in nasal flaring, retraction, and used of
accessory muscles. Respiratory distress can be associated with
changes in airway sounds, skin color and mental status.


Definition of Respiratory Failure


Respiratory failure is describe as a clinical state of inadequate oxygenation, ventilation
or both of blood.

Signs and symptoms of respiratory distress


•Grunting, mild muscle retraction.
•Tachycardia, tachypnea.
•Increase work of breathing, nasal flaring.
•Restlessness, agitation.
•Pallor.

Signs and symptoms of Respiratory Failure


•Hypoxemia, bradycardia.
•Muscle retractions, irregular breathing patterns, apnea.
•Weak pulses, poor skin perfusion.
•Lethargy to unresponsiveness
•Cyanosis.

Nursing Interventions

•Assess patient . Auscultate lungs. Look, listen and feel.
•Assess and monitor pulse oximetry. Monitor oxygen levels.
•Administer oxygen therapy as needed.
•Reposition patient. Supine, head midline and elevate head of bed 30 degree angle to facilitate ventilation.
•Calm patient, decrease anxiety. Continually update/educate family.
•Initiate chest physiotherapy and NT suction if applicable.
•Call MD. For further assessment.
•Chest X-ray.
Questions for thought:
Would you know how to take care of a child who is in respiratory distress?
Do you know ways to prevent children from getting respiratory infections?

No comments: